Monday, April 28, 2014

grandmother (wilderness)

we let the last candle burn down tonight
it's so dark outside, we need just a little light
i remember when this time of night was early
and you were barefoot and flour dusted in the kitchen 
time was just the clock on the stove
troubles were drowned in cinnamon and clove
i don't know why God let you get this old

we let the years burn down tonight
it's so dark outside, the angels provide a little light
I remember when this time of life seemed early
when i was a child and made believe 
It seems I've grown so far away 
these roots became my only knowing 
how will i face my troubles so far from home?
without the comforts of cinnamon and clove
I don't know why God let me get this old
from out here i see your candle glowing
leave your chores and be with me
rest in my branches, grandmother tree 
the angels will be our saving light 

No comments:

Post a Comment